Sunday, December 14, 2008

Top Chef, Jr.

OK, first an update from Friday... Santaland Diaries was wonderful! We laughed so hard! We saw it at the Zachary Scott Theatre in Austin. It's performed in the round, and the theatre is small, only 3 rows of seats. At first it felt a little too "intimate", but once the show got rolling, I loved it! If you're near Austin, get on over and see it! It runs through January 11.



On to Saturday... Brough decided in the morning that he wanted to make Chinese food for dinner. He loves cooking. Top Chef is one of his favorite shows. So, we pulled out the cookbooks, and ultimately decided to prepare dishes from this one...


We made Kung Pao Pork (it's supposed to be Kung Pao Chicken, but I had pork already, so we switched), Green Bean Stir Fry, and Sesame Peanut Noodle Salad. We also made some Vietnamese Pho. Brough decided on the recipes, made the grocery list, went shopping with me, and helped prepare. He worked really hard all day (I'm talking 9:00 am - 7:00 pm with a 1 hour break, here!). Becca pitched in with the prep work too.

Cooking with the kids always means it takes twice as long and dirties twice as many dishes, but it's so worth it!



It goes against all my "mommy" instincts to let him near the stove! But he's so careful. I've also started letting him slice veggies since he earned his "Whittling Chip" in Cub Scouts. He sliced the red pepper for the green beans...

It was a great dinner! Brough and I were both pretty tired when it was done, but we're already looking forward to the next time.









2 comments:

Dancing Queen said...

Yum-m0!! That looks awesome! I love, love to cook & it's starting to rub off on my kids, especially my 6 year old son too! He jumps at the chance to help me do anything in the kitchen...love that! I told him, when he grows up, girls dig guys that can cook:)

Honorary Indian said...

Oh, yeah, girls DO dig guys that cook. That's why I married Animesh! He'd be a professional chef if he weren't fixing bones!

What a delish-looking dinner! When are we invited to the next meal????